About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Layered Ice Cream Dessert

Layered Ice Cream Dessert

This is a dessert that I had last week at singing school. When I first saw it, I thought, "Boy! Someone has really gone all out on this!" Appearances can be deceiving, for I learned that it is incredibly easy. I took this to church for dessert Sunday, and it was devoured! I'm including my tips for making it as cost-effective as possible.

First, take a 9"x 13" and place a layer of ice cream sandwiches in the bottom (I used 9 sandwiches for each layer, 18 total). Layer Cool Whip over the sandwiches, and then drizzle chocolate sauce and/or caramel sauce - typical ice cream sundae toppings. Make another exact layer on top of it. Freeze until ready to serve. Voila - an impressive, simple, and yummy dessert!

This recipe was so easy that I doubled it and stored one in the freezer for later. I bought a large box of 36 ice cream sandwiches at BJ's for $6.19, which makes 2 complete desserts. A 2-pack of 16 oz. Cool Whip was $3.99; this is enough for 4 desserts - 2 per 16 oz. tub. I tend to pinch every penny, so I made my own chocolate sauce, which was divine, if I do say so myself! I got the recipe from my Hershey's Chocolate Lovers Cookbook.

Chocolate Sauce

2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup (Karo)
1/4 cup evaporated skim milk (I used whole milk, which worked)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In small saucepan over low hear, melt butter. Remove from heat; stir in sugar, cocoa, and corn syrup. Stir in evaporated milk.Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture begins to boil and is smooth.Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool slightly.
3/4 cup sauce, about 12 servings

Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

Labels:



2 Comments:

Blogger Crew Mom said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this dessert...Dawn, please make me more!!!

Blogger Gail said...

O.K. - I haven't figured out how to post to the recipes, but here's my favorite - and everybody else's around me - and it is so ridiculously easy ...

Buy a prepared angel food cake and cut it into 3 layers. Place the top layer back into the pan it came in and spoon softened ice cream (our favorite is strawberry) - over that layer . Just make big blogs of it. Then place the next layer and another layer of ice cream, then top it off (or bottom it off it that's the way your cake came) and put it back in the freezer until firm.

As I said, we like this with strawberry ice cream and serve it with fresh strawberries (almost a shortcake), but I have made it with mint chocolate chip and chocolate syrup on the top (yummy) ...

You can fancy it up with some berries in the middle when you flip it out to serve!

Post a Comment

Home