About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style!

Overwhelmed with Joy is sponsoring Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style for sharing holiday recipes. I am going to toss three into the mix: Holiday Wassail, Sour Cream Apple Pie (including my grandmother’s fabulous, mix-in-the-pie-plate crust recipe), and Bacon/Hot Dog Wraps.

Holiday Wassail

In my early married days when I couldn't cook anything I discovered this recipe in one of my first cookbooks. I took it to every seasonal gathering we attended, finally purchasing a bigger crock-pot so I wouldn't spill it on the way. Here's your excuse to learn and perform The Wassail Song!

Holiday Wassail

1 gallon apple cider (buy the fresh kind in a "milk jug" in the produce section)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 6-oz. can frozen lemonade
1 6-oz. can frozen orange juice
12 whole cloves
6 whole allspice
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 4-inch cinnamon stick
2 bottles of port (optional - I've never tried it)

In a large kettle, combine cider, sugar, lemonade, and orange juice. Tie cloves and allspice into a small piece of cloth (I use cheesecloth) and add to cider. Add nutmeg and cinnamon stick; simmer gently for 20 minutes. Add wine; heat to steaming. Do not boil. Remove spice bag, discard, and serve hot. Makes 30 to 35 servings.

Sour Cream Apple Pie

I got this recipe several years ago from the Atlanta Journal/Constitution. It is not going to win any pie beauty contests; however, I promise it will make your taste buds happy.

Sour Cream Apple Pie

Apple Filling:
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
4 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 9-inch deep-dish unbaked pie shell

Topping:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. butter, softened

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
For the filling, in a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, sour cream, flour, vanilla, and salt. Stir in apples to coat them well with filling mixture. Pour into crust, mounding apples in center. Bake 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make topping. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and remove pie. Sprinkle topping evenly over pie and bake 20 minutes.
Note: For more color and flavor, add 1/2 cup cranberries to apples before stirring them into the filling mixture.
Do-ahead tips: Bake a day in advance and serve chilled, at room temperature, or warmed in a low oven.
Here is my Grandmother Piles's pie crust recipe. The fabulous thing is that you stir the ingredients together right in the pie plate - no rolling or transferring!
Grandmother's Easy Pie Crust

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oil
2 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

Stir ingredients together in pie plate, then shape by hand for crust.
Bacon/Hot Dog Wraps

These are absolutely amazing appetizers, and very easy. I know what you're thinking - hot dogs? Buy fancy ones like Hebrew National if you like, but it makes no difference. The cinnamon, sugar, and bacon drippings combine to make a divine "syrup." Men love these things. If very many people will be in attendance, you may want to double the recipe to avoid fighting. No joke.
Bacon/Hot Dog Wraps

1 pkg. of hot dogs (each cut into 5 pieces)
17 slices of bacon (each cut into 3 pieces)
1 c. dark brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
50 tooth picks

Preheat oven to 325. Wrap each hot dog piece with a piece of bacon and secure with a tooth pick. Place wrapped hot dogs in a single layer on a cookie sheet (see note below). Mix the brown sugar and the cinnamon together in a bowl. Sprinkle sugar mixture over the wrapped hot dogs. Bake for about an hour or until nice and brown (also make sure bacon looks done!).
Note: I cook these on the Pampered Chef stoneware large bar pan. I definitely recommend using something with a little edge to it, or the bacon grease will drip into your oven.
Head over to Overwhelmed with Joy for other great holiday cooking ideas!

Labels: ,



17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the hot dog bacon wraps we make these for appetizers and sometimes for breakfast very good.
Jen

Blogger Unknown said...

These sound yummy. Thanks!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, these are great recipes, thank you so much for sharing :)

Can't wait to try them :)

Blogger Pamela said...

They all sound fantastic! I copied and printed all of them. I am intrigued with adding the brown sugar and cinnamon to the hotdog wraps! :)

Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks a lot! The bacon hotdogs sound S-W-E-E-T! :D I'll have to try those soon~

Jenn

Blogger Susie said...

I love the smell of hot apple cider! All your recipes sound good and easy too! Thanks for sharing...

Blogger Eagles Wings said...

Okay, I've been in the baking mood lately I'm gonna have to try this one. And I was just thinking I wanted to make an apple pie...
gonna give it a go this week!
Thanks

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

Waissail! Yeah. I had lost my recipe in my moves. Not sure how but I know it was on a card and this looks just about right on and I am so excited. Thanks and the pie and hotdog thingys are a must try. Blessings to you and thanks!

I love Waissail! It is one of my favorites-and sour cream apple pie sounds yummy. Thanks for the great ideas!

Blogger Rae said...

So many delicious sounding recipes! I love that you put up a recipe for sour cream apple pie. One of the elderly ladies I visit with absolutely LOVES it. I'll be making it for her this season. =) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted a good (non-alcoholic) wassail recipe for Christmas. Can't waot to try it!

Blogger BlondeBrony said...

Wow! Very impressive. Those all look very good. Thank you for sharing.

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Okay, ALL of these recipes sounds so tempting! That sour cream apple pie is calling my name. :)

I love Pampered Chef products! I have many of them myself.

Thanks so much for participating in my Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style recipe exchange. I really do appreciate it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I need to know is how to pronounce "Waissail"???? I am making it for thanksgiving - it just looks too yummy to pass up but I don't want to sound like an idiot if I can't pronounce it!
Thanks!

Blogger Susanne said...

I've never had wassail with lemonade in it. I can hardly wait to try it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that pie dough sounds wonderful...I can hardly imagine not having to roll it..can't wait to try this one.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An easy pie crust! That's right up my alley; I have THE hardest time with pie crusts! And thanks for sharing all of the recipes, I can't wait to try them!

Post a Comment

Home