About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

“When the chips are down…
refill the basket.”

My 15-year-old son and I went to buy new basketball shoes after his first practice yesterday. I had something that is a rare and treasured commodity for me: one-on-one time with an individual child. We ate lunch at Moe’s. I love their quirky artwork with silly sayings written around the borders:

“If you don’t have fun saying quesadilla, you’re probably pronouncing it wrong.” (Yes, No Cool Story, my son and I laughed about the quesadiLLa quote in Napoleon D.)

“If a quesadilla could talk, it would be terrifying.”

“You can tell a lot by the way a person dips their chips.”

You certainly can. Which brings me to one of my pet peeves: double dipping. In case you don’t know, double-dipping is the loathsome and socially abhorrent practice of dipping food in some kind of shared, community dip (like salsa or cheese dip), taking a bite, and then re-dipping the same piece of food (usually tortilla chip) into the sauce again. After you’ve eaten off of it. Some restaurants give each person an individual bowl. In that case, double-dip your heart out; it doesn’t affect anyone else. Otherwise, just don’t do it.

Years ago, I attended a moms’ night out with ladies from a playgroup one of my sons attended at that time. I was really excited because we were going to my favorite Mexican restaurant. When the chips and salsa arrived, most of the women immediately started double-dipping. I was horrified, disgusted, but mostly just plain irritated; I had wanted chips and salsa, too, but not anymore.

Two other moms and I taught a human anatomy class in our homeschool co-op this year. On the week when we covered the digestive system, I explained to the children exactly what double-dipping does (one of many anatomy-related rabbit trails we followed this semester). I told how if you repeatedly scoop baby food directly out of the jar into the baby’s mouth, and then reseal the unfinished jar and put it in the refrigerator, saliva will break-down the food, whether it’s in your mouth or not. When you reopen that jar, part of the baby food will be liquefied. It was that mental image that did it. Those sweet faces registered such shock and revulsion that I knew I had helped prevent a few more double-dippers in this world, and for that I am pleased; it was my civic duty.

If you are a habitual double-dipper: Stop the madness! Cease and desist! Just say no!

Never let it be said that I am afraid to tackle the big issues on this blog.

Labels:



2 Comments:

Blogger Super Happy Girl said...

Way to go teaching a new generation about double dipping!
Most of us will never get that chance, you are a good citizen and an excellent human being ;-) I hope they go out into the world and tell others about it.

I usually don’t get grossed out easily, but reading all the double dipping at the restaurant, made my stomach feel unhappy. It also reminded me of the time I witnessed the following aberration with my very own two eyeballs: lady making lemonade, pouring some in a glass to taste it, then proceeding to dump contents of tasting cup back in to the pitcher, then having the audacity to offer me some lemonade. GROSS!!
I feel so sick now.

PS. Oh the many wonders of napoleon Dynamite, the comedy never ends :D
Glad you guys enjoyed it, it’s one of those movies you either love or hate (the hate coming from the fact you didn’t get it).

Ok, I’m done with my comment.

Blogger Crew Mom said...

ok girl, I'm going through all our outings together...and trying to remember if I've done this with you...I'm a BIG double-dipper...but I usually try to know when others don't like that...my family always double dips with each other...but I promise to MAKE SURE to be more aware now!! I apologize if I ever have...eeuuuuwwww I hope I haven't!!!!

Post a Comment

Home