About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

because we had to know about the "F"
Before they passed away, my grandparents' home in Arkansas was the hub of many family gatherings. Several years ago a group of us were there for a visit, including: my cousins Laura and Betty Anne; my Aunt Linda; and my mom and I. When that bunch got together there was always a lot of game playing (Taboo, Trivial Pursuit, etc.) and much general silliness.

One afternoon the focus of our attention centered on a man named Feester F. Fitzpatrick. Something about that name - Feester F. Fitzpatrick - struck us. Try saying it without a smile on your face. I honestly don't remember if this was someone my great-aunt knew ("Oh, you remember Feester don't you? He was Mytle's neighbor's friend.") or if we simply saw him in the phone book; all I know is that it was determined that we simply had to know what that "F" stood for. [Yes, I'm aware that the last sentence ended with a preposition, on the day after the 100% language arts grade. While I'm at it, I've also decided that I will occasionally start sentences with conjunctions. It's my blog and I'll conjunct if I want to and break grammatical rules at will.]

We couldn't just call and say, "By the way, Feester, what is your middle name?" Surely a bold move, but lacking the proper degree of finesse. And silliness. And we were all about the silliness. [I will take this opportunity to remind you that these were grown women involved in this caper. I was in my mid-twenties at the time, and everyone but my younger cousin either was, or was old enough, to be my mother.] Instead, we called him under the guise of survey takers. I think my cousin Betty Anne, a wacky Texan, actually made the call. I don't remember what "survey" she took, but it required his full name. Supposedly, he would receive a carton of Coke for his efforts.

You have to imagine this group of giggling women dying of suspense while Betty Anne completed her survey-taking as professionally as the finest Gallup pollster. Success! And then we knew: Fay. Feester Fay Fitzpatrick, in all its alliterative glory. I confess that afterward we suffered an attack of conscience about the Cokes, and we almost bought a pack that night and left them on his front porch. Occasionally, I'll remember Feester with a smile, although a twinge of guilt about the Cokes remains.

Thanks for letting me share my silly story.

Labels: ,



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute story! And don't worry about the grammar...it's just your blog. :) I left my grammar rules behind eons ago when writing for the blog.

Blogger Dawn said...

Too funny!!

Blogger Doris said...

I love silly cute stories. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!!

I can hear you all giggling!

Blogger Barb said...

Well, I don't blame you for having to know. What a name! I do think ya'll should have left that Coke on his porch, though. Poor guy.

:-)

If I tried to follow all the rules of grammar, I think I'd give up. I kind of make up my own rules. If Danielle Steel can start every single sentence in her books with "And," so can I. :-)

Post a Comment

Home