About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Ouch!
When we gave our 15-year-old a new chess set for Christmas, he told me that I'd have to learn to play. Tonight we had our first lesson. I felt much less apprehensive once I decided that I didn't have to actually master the game in one night, just get a feel for it.

By the end, I decided my goal for the evening was merely learning how each piece moves; I spent the whole time looking at the instruction booklet which diagrammed it. My son was very patient; it took me forever. I told him the story of Barb cooking up tons of Christmas goodies because her mom took 15-20 minutes per turn at Scrabble, so he pulled out our awesome new hardback complete works of Lewis Carroll (leatherbound at BJ's now for $14.99!) and started reading Alice in Wonderland during my turns.

My boys have played chess for years, so he's quite the pro while I'm quite the amateur. [Remember, I told you mothers of young ones that one day your children will arise up and whip your rear at Monopoly? Well that goes for chess, too.] At one point he he just shook his head and said, "It's really hard to develop a strategy against someone who has no strategy."

Ouch.
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,



6 Comments:

Blogger Janis Rodgers said...

My son gets frustrated because I don't play his Star Wars game right. I just don't understand the game! I am trying though. Until I get better, at least he gets the pride in knowing that he can beat his old mama. LOL

Blogger Barb said...

Ouch! Boy, do I know how you feel. It's pathetic that I cannot for the life of me beat either of my kids at Blokus. It's humiliating actually because right up until now they've both thought I was smarter than them.

They definitely know how to put us in our place, don't they? :-)

Give yourself a break though. Chess isn't the easiest game in the world to learn and become good at! csrsgfy

Blogger Barb said...

Talk about the mother of all typos. I typed the stupid word verification letters at the end of my comment! Arrgghhh!

Blogger Linda said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comment. This is the absolute best part of blogging - meeting new friends.
I know what you mean about the chess. My sons both play - but I decided not to even try. It just looks too complicated to me. When my granddaughter started playing, I really felt left behind. However, I think I shall remain a spectator.
Speaking of doing things while waiting for your turn - I have dialup (I know - so behind the times) so I have started reading while waiting for things to "appear". Some times I get a good bit read!!
It was so good to meet you. Come again!!

Funny. Eventually he will admit that he lets you win, too.

Blogger Donnetta said...

Sorry, the end found me laughing out loud... but only for a moment because then I felt your pain! :-)

You are more of a "mom" than I think I would be. I'm not sure I would have agreed to try and learn chess. I have tried numerous times in the past and just don't have the patience to learn all that is required. I don't ever quite get it.

Checkers anyone??

Post a Comment

Home