About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

New Year's Meditations

I have been thinking a lot about this since reading that Laurel Wreath was organizing New Year's Meditations. Some of mine probably sound familiar to many of you: I want to lose about 8 pounds; I need to read my Bible more (and towards that end, I just ordered this after reading about it on my cousin's blog); I need to exercise (I've actually done a workout video for 6 of the last 7 days, which is amazing for me).

Laurel Wreath asked, "When you look back December 2007 where would you like to be?" so that's what I'll try to answer now:

A lot of what's on my heart concerns my family and my personal goals. I have written about the reading and hours that I've been putting into learning programs for web design. Some days are rewarding. Some days I am so frustrated or overwhelmed that I just want to walk away and never look at this computer again. I want this learning part of the journey to pass quickly. I don't want my family to think I'm neglecting them or don't have enough time for my domestic duties. Mostly, I want to help my family financially and take some stress off of my husband. He's diabetic, and I worry about his health. A lot.

Also, I hope to make progress towards certification as a childbirth educator and labor doula. I just ordered this book, which is on my required reading list. I am quite blessed to have three friends whose births I can attend in April and May; however, I am really nervous about one of them. Two of them are experienced mothers. I think Crew Mom's biggest fear is that I might try to talk her out of her epidural (just kidding, honey!). One, however, is a friend who is expecting her first child at age 41. I am absolutely thrilled for her: she and her husband have adopted 5 children in their 18 years of marriage and now she's pregnant for the first time. She is reading and studying the process just like I did with my first pregnancy, and she wants that amazing unmedicated birth. I am praying the Lord will grant her a safe delivery and that her birth will be all that she desires, and that I'll know how to help and support her to achieve that end. Also, I pray that she'll have medical staff (please, give us a midwife!) who are receptive to her wishes and treat her like an individual, instead of plugging her into the standardized childbirth model common in hospitals today.

I have the concern common to most homeschooling mothers: are we accomplishing what we need to accomplish? This year I want my children to become better and more prolific readers, and my 15-year-old and I to make serious progress in his learning of Russian.

It's hard to believe that Lily turned 18-months the week before Christmas. I have had little ones and babies for so long, but I know that won't always be the case. Every step for her has been difficult for me: moving out of our room, weaning, etc. I really want to savor the moments with my little ones. At the same time, my oldest son at home only has 2 1/2 years of high school left, and I've seen once before how quickly that time can pass. I pray for guidance in equipping him for life beyond the nest.

I am hungry for time to just sit and read again, which is evidenced to me by the fact that I've gotten five new books in the past two weeks. I want my 2007 reading list to branch beyond web design.

I've been quite blessed in my decision to start this blog in May. I never imagined the friendships I would forge with ladies I've never met, or the strengthened bonds with friends and family who blog, too. Thanks to all of you ladies who've encouraged and inspired me in 2006. I look forward to deepening those friendships in the upcoming year, and I hope to use the opportunity to bless others when it's presented to me.

If you would like to participate or read other posts, go here to the post on Laurel Wreath's site.

Labels: , ,



7 Comments:

Blogger Donnetta said...

You must keep us updated on your certification for childbirth educator!! I have often thought that would be something I would enjoy.

Also, I didn't remeber there was that kind of a span in your children. Sounds like my family growing up. I am the oldest of 5. The baby was born 4 months before my 16th BDay. There were 3 others in between. Ah the memories!!

Happy New Year! Once again, thanks for the "special gift" you e-mailed to me!! I'm not able to express how much that meant to me!

Blogger Amber said...

What a great post, Dawn! I hope that all your hopes and wishes for 2007 come to fruition.

Blogger Barb said...

What a beautifully written post. Your goals are very clearly stated and they all sound doable to me.

I had no idea you wanted to become a doula. (not at all sure I spelled that correctly) What an amazing thing to do. I can't begin to imagine how excited your 41 year old friend must be. Imagine. Adopting five children and then becoming pregnant. I'm thrilled for her and I'm sure she's comforted knowing you'll be there with her through it all.

These are wonderful goals. I'm really looking forward to hearing all about these as you accomplish them.

I enjoyed your post. I had my fifth child at 41, and I pray many blessings for your friend.

I am with you and the others the years go by too fast when our children are so little.

Blessings in 2007!

Blogger Linda said...

Hi Kari, I've come to you by way of My Quiet Corner. What a sweet thing to do for her - and I agree with all that you said.
I love your post. I hear the yearnings of your heart. My husband is also a diabetic - do I understand your concerns.
I pray the Lord will bless you in the coming year. That He will give you the desires of your heart.

Blogger Lyndy said...

How exciting that you are going to be a doula and what wonderful goals you have for you and your family.

Praying you are blessed beyond your wildest dreams.

Lyndy

Blogger Janis Rodgers said...

I understand exactly how you feel about your youngest one growing up. My youngest turns three this month and every milestone (potty-training this week) hurts me, because it means that she is getting more independent. That is good, but sad for me somehow. I am trying to savor every moment and experience with her and her brother and sister. I enjoyed reading your meditations! Blessings to you and your family!

Post a Comment

Home