About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

thoughts and observations from the road: our 1,500 mile weekend
Saturday morning my husband, Lily, and I rode 750 miles with my mother-in-law to pick up two cars and drive them back home with us on Sunday. Saturday was a sweet set-up for me: I brought a bed tray (with legs, like you'd use for eating breakfast in bed) which I used as a portable desk for a laptop and mouse. It was a sunny day; I had some good study time with my web design book; and basically Lily and I sat in the back seat and did our own thing (I studied, she ate Fruity Cheerios).

The way home yesterday was a whole different story: Lily and I were in one car and my husband in the other; it rained the first two hours of the trip; it was a struggle just to stay awake without adult conversation and the ability to switch drivers. Fourteen hours in the car is a lot of time to mull over things you see and hear along the way, such as:
  • What happened to Marathon candy bars? They were one of the all-time greatest candy bars, including an awesome ad campaign. Follow this link for the story, which includes a link to let M&M/Mars know if you would like to see a Marathon comeback. I also discovered that Marathon John was Patrick Wayne, John Wayne's son.
  • What messed-up marketing directors decided that energy drinks should be Goth and creepy looking? Even while desperately trying to stay awake on our trip, I wouldn't buy any of that stuff.
  • According to the billboards, Tupelo, Mississippi, is "the PLACE to GO." Elvis would be so proud.
  • What kind of lives do the owners and employees of "adult superstores" (not to be confused with baby superstores) live? Are there modern-day leper colonies for these people? Owing to the depravity of man, I'm assuming these are fairly financially-successful businesses. I just can't imagine telling your neighbors that your family owns the local "adult superstore." I could make a speculation regarding the apparent need to print the signs for these "establishments" in humongous print, but I might endanger my good standing in the Family-Friendly Blogroll.
  • I can listen to George Strait sing "Run" over and over on the For the Last Time: Live from the Astrodome CD.
  • There are neighboring towns in Alabama called Guin, Gu-win, and Brilliant.

Home Sweet Home trivia question:

What state am I in if I see signs for "Toad Suck Park"?


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add me to the George-Strait-is-the-best-traveling-music...best voice, nice lyrics--I love hearing my kids request and sing his songs. We all love him--I think I have all of his music on my iPOD. He's what country music should be! I think one of my top 10 to-do's in life is to see him at the Houston rodeo. I know, I dream big. He he!

What a trip! Glad you made it home safely.
Jolie

Blogger Crew Mom said...

Dawn! You are sorely missed when you are gone..even if I was puney yesterday, you always cheer me up...George is not one of my favs, but Rascal Flatts I can blast all day! It was so funny seeing your children with so many different families yesterday!!! The girls were right up front...and perfect! Cute!

Blogger Super Happy Girl said...

Trivia answer: I cheated because I googled it, Arkansas. Right?

ITA with the energy drink Goth theme. I guess they figure teens would want to look cool holding those cans. Yeah, I say “Whatever”.

I have never had Marathon candy bar, and it looks like I never will :(

Blogger Doris said...

I laughed about one telling their neighbors they own an adult superstore and about your speculation. Yeah, I can speculate as to your speculation.

I get "stuck" on certain CDs for days (ALL day every day). It drives my son nuts. Currently it's Harry Connick Jr.'s When My Heart Finds Christmas

No Cool Story: You win! Yes, it's Arkansas, even if you did Google it. I don't think you can complain about having a hillbilly, uneducated image if you have "Toad Suck Park" just outside the state capital. Just my opinion (which I'm entitled to make since it's my home state).

Doris: I love that Harry Connick CD, too! A couple of years ago I got his second Christmas CD, Harry for the Holidays, which is good but not as good as the first one.

Post a Comment

Home