About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

A Movie and a Meeting


Bryan and I went to see Facing the Giants on our anniversary Wednesday night. The night before, I was in line at Chick-fil-a and the manager, a dad in our music program, was saying it was one of the best movies he'd ever seen. He told a group of teens to go see it, and if they didn't like it to come back and he'd pay for their tickets. He said, "Whatever you're doing tomorrow night, cancel it and go see this movie."

I was disappointed at first because the film quality and acting were mediocre; however, what the movie lacks in polish, it compensates for in sincerity. It was filmed in Albany, GA, and appears to have been very much a community effort. My impression was not that some Hollywood types sat down and said, "Let's see if we can make a movie that the Christians will pay to see," but real people made a movie that they believed in.

I thought it was interesting that the movie received a PG rating "for some thematic elements" - in other words, it was a little too evangelical for the ratings board. What this movie gives you is a look at the transformation that occurs in a man who hits rock bottom and then looks up - way up - and dedicates his life and the high school football team he coaches to God's glory. I cried off and on all through it.

We'll be at a big church meeting all weekend. The kids are so excited - they've been asking if they can get dressed all day. I love big church meetings, even though I know I'll have a bad case of PAMS next week (Amber, you introduced me to that acronym). My cousin Lynn also put up a nice post this week about singing. I can't wait for tonight - there's nothing like Friday night at an annual meeting, when everyone is fresh and fired up for some good preaching. I'm also looking forward to spending the weekend with my dearest friends, my church sisters. Have a blessed weekend!

Labels:



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I haven't seen the movie yet, but when I first heard about it at our women's retreat, I knew that it was one I would have to see. The story behind it is rather amazing.

Enjoy your meeting!

Blogger Gail said...

Hey! I'm looking forward to seeing you guys on Saturday! I couldn't make the Friday night service, but will be in on Saturday a.m. and then back to work. Ugh. Many festivals and carnivals to cover.

Blogger Doris said...

I bet you enjoyed your anniversary date.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish we could be there for the meeting this weekend. I have been thinking of you all all week. Hope it is outstanding!

Albany is my hometown. Sherwood Bapist did the movie. They have been around for years and they are awesome. Most of the cast is from the church. Some of the extras are from the school they sponsor. They also did a movie on DVD called Flywheel (their first movie). I was so thrilled to see their efforts on the big screen. I know for a fact they are a Bible believing church. (BTW- Ray is from Albany too! :>)

Post a Comment

Home