About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Moments in Motherhood, April, 2007
This is my first attempt at hosting Moments in Motherhood, a writing project for bloggers. The day after I posted the topic, I looked at it and thought, "This was for me, wasn't it?" I really feel the need to explore my own thoughts on this. Please share yours, too. A Mr. Linky is at the bottom of this post.

This month's topic is:
Was birth an empowering experience for you? Do you agree with the statement "you birth the way you live"? Did your birth experience(s) impact you in a long-term way?
I have a friend who gets squeamish at the sight of blood. Recently she told me about coming upon an accident victim. While driving down the road, her daughter looked out the window at small, country church and something caught her eye. A woman on a motorcycle had lost control, skidded off the road and across the church yard, and eventually slid under an outdoor picnic table. Her leg was broken in multiple places and she was bleeding.

My friend helped the woman remove her helmet, comforted her, and stayed with her until help arrived. To say that the situation took my friend outside of her comfort zone is an understatement, but she did what she had to do and what the situation required of her. After hearing her story, I told her, "This reminds me of birth. You have to dig down deep and do something you didn't know you were capable of doing."



When I was twenty years old and expecting my first child, I discovered that my fear of medication was greater than my fear of pain. I'd spent my life watching my mother undergo endless surgeries and health problems, dependent on pain medication, and I didn't want anything to do with it. The only time I vomited during that pregnancy was in the middle of the childbirth education class on anesthesia. When the discussion turned to needles and deadening things, I broke out in a cold sweat. I didn't even make it to the hospital bathroom; I got sick in the middle of the hall.

I studied for childbirth like an upcoming exam, and I wanted to ace it. My unmedicated delivery was one of the most wondrous experiences of my life, and yes, I felt empowered by it, fulfilled in a never-before imagined way. My second delivery at twenty-five years old was much the same. Later I remarked to my husband that I would love to give birth once a year, as a kind of "fix." It wasn't the desire for another child each year, just giving birth; the experience was that intense for me.

My next four deliveries involved three inductions, and honestly there wasn't a valid reason for any of them. What they did was infuse that magical experience with an element of fear. Fear of the nurse walking in the door every half-hour to increase the pitocin, since it takes me so long to react to it. Fear of the tidal wave-force labor that hits when that reaction finally occurs. Fear that I wouldn't be able to handle it unmedicated anymore.

With my seventh pregnancy, my instructions to my husband were this: No matter how huge/swollen/miserable I become (for I knew what the future held) remind me that I do not want to be induced. Period. Four days before my due date I was 5cm dilated, thanks in part to some fabulous advice from a friend who is a homebirth midwife (sorry, it's too graphic to print here). My OB's office said I could show up at the hospital any time and be admitted, but I refused. I went to the hospital the day before my due date with potential complications; although an assessment showed all was well, I was encouraged to just stay and they could "start me up." We went home.

I went into labor on my own the next day. We were at the hospital for two and a half hours before the baby was born. The first hour and a half was spent watching the end of a Braves' game and two episodes of Seinfeld, where I only contracted when I laughed. I'd broken the induction cycle and it was great, much better. The problem was that the fear had stayed with me from those inductions. If there's one thing I know about childbirth, fear is your worst enemy. When I started to panic a bit during that one hour of serious labor and questioned my ability to handle it, my nurse completely dismissed my concerns. What she basically said was, "Six prior labors, no epidural. Honey, you don't need it! Is there anything else I can do for you?" I didn't realize just how much that conversation and her dismissal of my concerns affected me until my eighth pregnancy...

I allowed my midwife to schedule an induction two weeks in advance for two weeks before my due date since her office was short-staffed, the hospital was booked solid with inductions, and that was the only sure chance of her attending the birth. [It bears mentioning that at that fabulous seventh birth, my practice wasn't on call and I had a doctor who basically walked in the door, put on some gloves, and caught the baby. I'd never laid eyes on him before or since.] A sinus infection hit me the week before my induction and I was given a five-day, strong round of antibiotics.

Reality began to sink in: I couldn't breathe and had a nasty cough; I would be stuck in bed with an IV; my mother wouldn't be there (she had always been there for me, but passed away when my seventh child was six-months-old; for months I feared that I would break down immediately following this birth); nurses don't take me seriously if I express an interest in pain medication. I was a little jealous of all the pain-free birth stories I'd heard over the years. The decision was made--I'd get an epidural! I deserved it, didn't I? I had birthed seven other children without it and didn't have anything to prove to myself, right? Wrong. Dead wrong.

See, for me (and I realize it is a very subjective experience) birth is empowering. I do "birth the way I live." I won't even take something for a headache, unless it's really bad. 2 Timothy 1:7 -- "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" is very much a life-verse for me.

I was so consumed by fear that I requested an epidural before I even needed it; it was given to me because my midwife had told them to take me seriously if I asked for it. I got sick (vomiting) from the anesthesia, and it caused such uncontrollable shaking that my jaws ached the next day. The labor took over twelve hours and was filled with unnecessary medical interventions. I didn't feel like I gave birth; I didn't feel much of anything--I was numb.

In spite of my conviction about the accuracy of my dates, my due date had been moved up by nine days. After the birth, my midwife said that based on Lily's appearance, my original due date was correct. My labor took forever because my baby and my body just weren't ready. Something happened during the delivery that later caused Lily months of physical therapy (she's fine now). If I had not allowed the induction and had just let my daughter come in her own good time, my sinus infection would have had a chance to clear; we both would have been ready. I think things would have been different.

As you may have guessed I have had trouble dealing with this birth, processing it if you will. I would say that yes, my birth experiences affect me long-term. That I was unable to trust myself and my body--which is ultimately trusting God, since I know He's the one who strengthens and sustains me--is something I have to live with. With God's grace I hope that tackling this head-on, working it out in print, will enable me to let it go and leave it behind me.

I don't expect everyone's perspective on birth to be the same as mine. It is a deeply personal experience. Please share your thoughts on this topic and link to your exact Moments in Motherhood post, not just your blog address, in the Mr. Linky below. Thank you for listening and/or participating!

Labels: ,



9 Comments:

Blogger BGK said...

I once read that feeling empowered from birth was dumb as our foremothers weren't interested in empowerment but survival in a time when birth could, and did, kill and maim.

I don't HAVE to garden to eat, I could go to grocery but having a garden is soothing and empowering. So I have one.

I'm a mom of five homeborn children. I'd say, yes, their births were empowering. I suspect women never put that label on it until recently, but I also know that God provided women with oxytocin, prolactin and hormones that elicit nurturing behavior, milk production and the promulgation of the species. That it's safer now than ever before is a gift from God IMO.

I'm new to your blog and love it.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose my births have all been fairly easy(as births go) and untraumatic. I only used drugs the first time and I felt so horrible afterward that I vowed to go natural the next time. This was a great decision for me, my body just works better on its own and after the births, I feel great--kind of like running a marathon.

Birth is such a personal thing and I don't expect anyone else to do it like me. My daughters have asked me if I thought they too should do homebirth (I did it for the last two), but I just tell them it is up to them. Birth is not a time to worry about other people and what their opinions are--it is time to do what you feel comfortable with.

Blogger Janis Rodgers said...

The only way that my births correlate with my life is that I did not have control. I was induced early for all three of my children due to pre-eclampsia, so no time to plan and surprising each time. The last one was the most chaotic and the most traumatic, since I ended up having to have an emergency hysterectomy the same day. Did I feel empowered? Only in the sense that I made it through the experience. I would do it all again for my children, though.

Blogger leigh said...

My post is long and i'm not sure I did this right. I may be back!

Blogger Carol said...

Wow! How different each birth can be from another. In your case, the seventh differing from the other six.

Seven! That would be seven times blessed!

Blogger Code Yellow Mom said...

I just SOOOOO needed to read this. Thank you.

This last week I cancelled the induction I was railroaded into at my last appointment and I am so happy about that...already feel a little power coming back to me now. :)

I still plan to post on this, but it may be late tonight. Lots of stuff going on around here today. And, to tell you the truth, posting on birth would really be good therapy for me today.

Blogger Barb said...

I loved reading this but it really bothered me that you were brushed off by that nurse because it was your seventh baby. Good grief. What kind of nurse is that?

I had both my babies without medication of any kind. Lamaze. It worked so well for me, Krissy was born in 3 hours and Mandy was born in an hour and a half. With Krissy, it all went so fast by the time I thought I might like some medication, it was way too late. With Mandy, it was ridiculous, it was so fast.

It's the most empowering thing I've ever done, giving birth. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. You know. If I weren't 56. And if I had the energy. LOL

I loved every word of this post.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My post is a little long too and I hope I did it right. Anyway I'll be posting about my second one in a day or two. I loved doing this and reading everyone else's -Thanks

Post a Comment

Home