About Me

Nice Places
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits
Miscellaneous

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.yoursite.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

The all-time greatest read-aloud-in-one-sitting children's book ever. Period.
When my older boys were little, our favorite read-aloud was Dr. Seuss's Fox in Socks. My goal was to read it error-free; their goal was to catch my error. These sessions were great fun for all, the boys on the edge of their seats waiting to buzz me when I got tangled on the words. It was always there among the three cheese trees, Bim and Ben's brooms, the tweetle beetles, or Sue's new socks - that one little slip that would blow my perfect reading. Somewhere along the way I got sentimental and put away the book. It was from a set my mother had bought me as a small child, with her handwritten inscription and date (late '60's) in the front cover, and it was getting fragile. Why I never got another copy, I don't know.

We bought new toothbrushes and toothpaste a couple of months ago which included a mail-in book offer. One of the choices was Fox in Socks and today it arrived in the mail. I don't think the other kids realized just why this was such a big deal to my fifteen-year-old son and I, although my five-year-old seemed awfully excited. After lunch we sat down for the big read-aloud. Mistake #1 occurred within the first few pages, so I started over (hey, I'm still working towards that perfect reading). Reading #2 was near the end when I inserted a "sir" that wasn't there. Good grief - not even a tongue-twister! We didn't get much further because at that time all the kids squealed and I turned to see Lily standing at the end of the couch, vomitting her lunch (spaghetti, an unfortunate choice) on the floor. With the carpet cleaning and bath that followed, the book was shelved. Literally.

I'm excited to introduce our all-time favorite read-aloud to my newest crop of kids. Maybe, just maybe, one day I'll post about that elusive perfect reading. Stay tuned.
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,



5 Comments:

Blogger Code Yellow Mom said...

My boys just discovered the thrill of Dr. Seuss this past weekend at the library. The 4yo LOVES Horton Hears a Who, and Green Eggs is of course a favorite. I am going to have to get Fox in Socks because it sounds like such great fun.

I'll watch for the big post on the perfect reading!

Blogger Barb said...

I love all the Dr. Seuss books but some of them are very tricky to read. How sweet that you have the copy from your own childhood.

This reminds me that I need to start stockpiling that collection again. Cameron and I "read" together every afternoon and he'll love these.

Blogger Lok said...

Awwww!!! Thank you for the memory lane trip! I remember the first time I read that to my 3 year old. I hadn't read the book in I can't remember how long, and I got so tickled at myself by the end of the book. I barely finished, and was exhausted when I did! lol.... that was funny. Now where did I put that book......

Blogger Trina said...

I love Dr. Seuss when I was little! My favorite was Green Eggs and Ham. It got to a point where I wasn't reading the book I was reciting it from memory!

Blogger Hen Jen said...

I think our favorite Dr. Seuss read aloud has to be Mr. Brown... taught all my babies how to whisper with that book!

Post a Comment

Home